Summer is here and the insects are out in full force! Those bites can be a real nuisance and, with increased warnings this year about the risk of tick bites, it’s more important than ever to protect ourselves. Of course, one way to prevent insect bites is to avoid areas where they tend to gather, deep woods and standing waters, for example. It’s also a good idea to cover up if you are going into an area where you might be exposed. However, exposure is often unavoidable, so here are a couple of recipes for homemade insect repellent spray and after bite ointment that might come in handy this summer!
Insect repellent spray
8 oz. distilled water
1 tbsp neem oil (optional)
10 drops each essential oils (Eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender, rosemary, tea tree, clove)
- In a small spray bottle, combine all ingredients.
- Shake well before each use.
- When not in use, store in a box, or dark bag, in the refrigerator.
After bite ointment
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp aloe gel
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp calendula cream
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, aloe, coconut oil and calendula, mix well.
- Add enough baking soda to form and spreadable paste.
- Apply a thin layer to insect bites.
- Store in a small, airtight container in the refrigerator.