There’s something kind of comforting and homey about a bowl of food. All the different colours, flavours, textures and nutrients in one hearty bowl! There are so many options, the possible combinations are endless! This article is not so much a recipe but a list of ideas to get you started with these quick and easy meals. Of course, you may have your own favorite ingredients but here are a few suggestions to help inspire! Bon appétit!
- Cook the grains according to package instructions. For extra flavour, try mixing in some sautéed onion or garlic, and season with some sea salt and black pepper or your favorite seasonings.
- A soft-boiled or soft-poached egg with a runny yolk will create a tasty “sauce” when mixed into your bowl.
- If I’m cooking my protein (e.g. chicken, turkey), I like to sauté it with some chopped ginger, garlic and green onion for added flavour.
- Veggies can be raw, steamed or sautéed. Some, like cucumber and avocado, are best to add cold to the dish to help cool down between bites.
- To balance flavours, think of adding a few different toppers that will provide salty (seaweed, soy sauce, tamari), tangy (lime, vinegar), spicy (kimchi, chilies, ginger), and umami (soy sauce or tamari).
What I made last night:
Sorry for the poor food photography, I’m working on it!
- Buckwheat cooked with onion and garlic
- Lean, grass fed beef, sautéed with green onion, wood ear mushrooms, garlic, and ginger, seasoned with sesame oil, soy sauce and black pepper
- Topped with cucumber slices, steamed edamame, green onion, ginger matchsticks, shredded seaweed, and kimchi
- Broccoli and cabbage slaw, tossed in lime juice, rice vinegar, and olive oil, with cilantro (I served this on the side this time)
Stay tuned for a home-made kimchi recipe, coming soon!