- 3 x 8oz containers of cremini mushrooms (total ~24oz), cleaned and stalks removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 L of broth (I used mushroom broth but chicken broth would also work)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 F.
On a parchment-lined baking sheet, place mushroom caps in a single layer, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Place in the oven to roast for 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, place a medium stock pot on high heat, adding the broth, bay leaves, onion and garlic.
When the mushrooms are done roasting, add them and their juices to the pot.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
Carefully fish out the bay leaves and discard.
Place all contents of the stock pot in a blender and blend to desired consistency (remember to remove the center of the blender lid and cover with a towel to allow steam to escape).
Return the soup to the pot, add vinegar and adjust seasonings to taste.
Serve hot, as a side or add a protein (some cooked chicken, fish, tempeh or beans) and enjoy as a main.